Join us to walk on behalf of the Montgomery County Coalition for the Homeless (MCCH) as part of Fannie Mae’s Help the Homeless Walkathon (HTH). This annual event, which raises awareness about homelessness in the Metropolitan area and funds to support essential programs serving the homeless, culminates in a 5K walk on the National Mall on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. This is a vital part of our annual fundraising efforts - and every walker counts!
It’s Help the Homeless Time Again!
MCCH Ready to Work with Community and Schools to Raise Critical Funds
Saturday, November 20th on the National Mall
MCCH is proud that we were selected again as a beneficiary organization for the Fannie Mae Foundation’s Help the Homeless Walkathon and Mini-Walk program this summer and fall. Each year these walks are a very large part of our fundraising and public education efforts to end homelessness in our community.
MCCH has already started to recruit walkers and host schools and organizations for mini-walks. It’s an easy process of filling out a few forms and setting a date and we help you every step of the way. If your school, church, organization or business is interested helping us reach our goal of 3,000 participants, let us know. This event is open to walkers of all ages so parents join with your kids if you can and enjoy this rewarding experience.
There are a number of ways to support our Help the Homeless Activities. We know that there is something here that fits you or your organization perfectly!
- Join our MCCH walk team and meet us on the National Mall on November 20th.
- Personalize your own webpage through the Help the Homeless Website and upload e-mail addresses to your address book, e-mail friends and family to make a donation, and monitor your team on your fundraising success.
- Organize a Mini-Walk at your school, organization or business.
- Host a Denim Day at work to raise awareness and support walkers who might not be able to participate.
- Be a sponsor. MCCH can receive a sponsor incentive award by recruiting sponsors who make a financial contribution and for each of the top five sponsors recruited; MCCH will receive an award equal to 20% of that commitment.
For more information on any of these options, please contact John O’Brien at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 301-217-0314 x104
Help the Homeless Mini-Walks: A MCCH Tradition
More than 10 years ago, MCCH reached out to Fannie Mae to find a way to involve more youth in their annual Help the Homeless program. We knew that many more young people and their families wanted to support the homeless than those that took part in the Walkathon on the National Mall. Fannie Mae took our idea to heart and started the Help the Homeless Mini-Walk program at schools and congregations. These local walks have engaged thousands of people each year to raise awareness about homelessness and funds for our programs.
Last year we worked with wonderful parent volunteers and school staff on 18 Mini-Walks. We are looking for new schools and congregations to hold “mini’s” before November 7. Mini-Walks are a great way to teach children about social issues and encourage lifelong community involvement. Organizing one is easy. We would love to work with you!